Sunday, July 29, 2007

Re: Fridgerators

So I just read on Monica and Ben's blog that they had company and very little food in the house. I must say I've had slight panic attacks over this very issue. Maxx and I are horrible at actually stocking the fridge and although we have various items in the pantry they aren't generally items that go with each other to create an actual meal. I'm very relived to know we aren't the only ones who shop for dinner 30 minutes before we make dinner. Although once in a while I'll stock up with a weeks worth of food, it's a rarity. I've come to accept this fact and although at first it made me feel as though the fact of not having food meant we were some sort of slackers trying to pass as responsible adults, I know realize it's just "us" and possibly a part of the free-spirited non-worriers that we are. Or maybe we're just slackers.

So here's where the fridge comes in. I'm not sure why we have a full size fridge. If there were some other tall slender appliance that could fill the hole in the wall I'd be all for it. Why not a fridge/dishwasher combo? Our fridge is stocked with garlic, mayo, mustard, ketchup, A-1, and several other condiments but no food. NONE. I realized a few weeks ago when our fridge was FULL that we are in the habit of only using it as a place to store left-overs until we decide to throw them away. I'm not exaggerating here, I decided to clean out the fridge one night as we could NOT find another spot to place food items. Upon opening and starting I threw away spaghetti, spaghetti sauce, tomatoes, onions, tuna salad, a couple dishes of rice, some left over ribs, hot dogs, gravy and mashed potatoes, as well as several other items. What's the point, why cook a meal then fool yourself into the thought that you'll eat the leftovers and keep it in the fridge for a month? When I finished our fridge was EMPTY, nothing on any shelf. I must say the past few weeks I've been better about throwing away food as we finish it. I can gladly open the door now and see only our condiments and some pasta and sauce that I thought I'd eat . . . two weeks ago.

No comments: